Free School Meals (FSM)
UPDATE ON TUESDAY 19th JANUARY 2021
The government have confirmed how Free School Meals will be funded and distributed during the current lockdown.
You will be pleased to know that we have chosen not to provide the "hampers" as seen in the media. We would love to meet Marcus Rashford but not under those circumstances!!!!
We will be continuing to provide FSM vouchers via the Huggg system.
As before these FSM vouchers are for those in receipt of FSM due to your financial position and eligibility (see below) and not the Government universal FSM for all KS1 and EYFS children.
- On Friday 22nd January you will be issued with a £10 voucher to cover the first two weeks- where you were paid £10 each week and not the government £15. This will have an expiry date of 7th February 2021.
- On Friday 22nd January you will be issued with a £30 voucher to cover Week Beginning 18th January and Week Beginning 25th January. This will have an expiry date of 7th February 2021.
- On Friday 5th February you will be issued with a £30 voucher to cover Week Beginning 1st February and Week Beginning 8th February. This will have an expiry date of 21st February 2021.
- On Friday 12th February you will be issued with £25 Covid Winter Grant Payment to cover Half Term.
This is what will happen for all children who are not attending Childcare Provision.
If children are attending Childcare provision are FSM and are taking a lunch then there may be amendments to the amount given.
If you have any questions about Free School Meals please email the School Office- using the title Free School Meals- firstname.lastname@example.org
HOW TO APPLY FOR FREE SCHOOL MEALS
Did you know we get additional money in our school budget if you are registered for Free School Meals?
If you are entitled to Free School Meals (or think you may be entitled but you are not claiming it at the moment) you can apply to Brighton & Hove City Council. Details of how to apply are listed below.
One of the ways the government decides on funding for schools is by looking at Free School Meals numbers. We receive around an extra £1320 into our budget per child who is registered for a free school meal. It is important, therefore, that the council and the school have figures not just for those of you who claim but also for those of you who are entitled to claim but have decided not to.
There are additional discounted services available to those in receipt of Free School Meals such as music lessons (discounted by up to 70%).
In this present climate where school budgets are being cut in real terms we need to ensure we are receiving all the possible funding available to us so we can continue to offer a quality education to all our children.
Children whose parents/carers receive one of the following benefits will be entitled to receive free school meals:
- Income Support
- Income-based Jobseekers Allowance
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- Support under part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- The guaranteed element of Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit (provided you’re not also entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190)
- Working Tax Credit run-on – paid for 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit
- Universal Credit – with a net household income below £7,400
Please note: If you are in receipt of any Working Tax Credit you will not be eligible to apply for Free School Meals
Ways to apply
If you are in receipt of any of the above benefits you can apply online at the Brighton & Hove City Council website https://www.brighton-hove.gov.uk/content/children-and-education/schools/free-school-meals
Alternatively you can complete the form by clicking here.
The council can undertake an online check for you in complete confidence - you will need to ring 01273 293497 tell them your National Insurance Number or your National Asylum Seeker Number (NASS), your date of birth and your surname (as it appears on your benefit letter). No paper proof is required.
It will really support funding for the school if all entitlements are registered.